June 15, 2009

Chocolate Chocolate Mint Cookies

So I have begun the long and tedious process of figuring what is going to come up to New York with me in the fall and what shall not. My dad and I are going to drive up, so I have some freedom of what I can put in the car, but my dorm room is probably going to be pretty small, so I have to take that into consideration. I'm planning on getting a dorm that is apartment style which means I shall have kitchen. WOOT WOOT!! I already know who my roommate is going to be. She is AMAZING!! Not only does she like to bake, but she speaks French, has lived all over the world and basically seems like one of the most awesome people ever. I can't wait until I actually get to meet her in person. 
Anyway, back to packing and not packing. So since I'm hopefully getting a dorm with a kitchen, I have to bring all my cook books, which over the past fews years has grown exponentially. Most are baking books, but I have collected a few others so that if I ever feel the need to cook myself an actual meal, I can do that as well ;) So not only do I have cook books, I also have a binder where I collect recipes that I print or cut out from the newspaper and from said book is where I found this lovely recipe. It has not title, no author, no anything - just a page of ingredients and some instructions. I was little skeptical because if I do use a recipe from online, I usually like to look at the reviews, but no reviews needed for these because they were INCREDIBLE!! Chocolatey goodness with a strong hint of mint - some people might find the mint overwhelming, but I loved it. Even my dad and step-mom liked them too. This has made me realize that I need to be a bit more adventurous in my baking and not always follow a trail that has already been followed, but to start my own paths and back thinks that I have no idea how they turn out. 
Ingredients:
  • 3.5 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup all purpose flour (I used cake flour because I'm out of AP)
  • 1/2 dutch cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda (As I read the recipe again now, I realize that I used baking powder and it still turned out fine. Whoops!)
  • 1 1/2 cup Andes Mint Chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. 
  2. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add chocolate and whisk until combined. Add vanilla and set aside to cool. 
  3. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. 
  4. In a mixer bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Mix until light and fluffy - 3 minutes. 
  5. Decrease speed to low and add melted chocolate mixture. 
  6. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. 
  7. Fold in Mint Chips
  8. Let batter sit in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up a bit. 
  9. Drop 1 1/2 tbs portions onto a baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 12-13 minutes. The cookies will be slightly under-baked, but will the centers nice and gooey. 
  10. Remove cookie sheets and transfer parchment paper to cooling rack to cool completely. 

3 comments:

cookie afficienado said...

These were quite delicious.

Anonymous said...

Where's the birthday cake?

Unknown said...

Maya,

Welcome to New York City!

xoxo